Monday, March 15, 2010

Almost a year!

Well, It has been quite a long time since I've last updated my blog. It's just that so much has happened that I have not had the time nor the energy to write! In true Alex style though, I have come to write a blog entry instead of writing a paper for school. I believe this is what happens whenever I have a big paper for school. Instead of spending time on my word document I mosey on over to blogger.

It is a U.S. History paper and I am loathing this writing process. Sure it is not a difficult paper, it only needs to be 3-4 pages (I'm sure one day I could only DREAM of a 3-4 page paper!). It's just a matter of getting 3-4 pages of words out of my brain and onto the computer keyboard. I have to write a book review and I picked a pretty good book, if I do say so myself. It is called House of Abraham Lincoln & The Todds, A Family Divided By War. The book is by Stephen Berry, who happens to be a history professor at UGA.

I've always known about good old Abe Lincoln, but never gave a thought about his wife and her family. All I have to say is....that poor man. This family was so incredibly dysfunctional. And I don't mean dysfunctional like I did when I told my brother that about our family in 4Th grade (sorry Mom!). This family has a huge split down the middle. Some were for the confederacy and some were for the union (hello..Lincoln!), and when your brother-in-law is the president whom the south hates, let's just say that is a major boo boo. And dear lord Lincoln's wife was a crazy woman! I did relate to her on one level though - she loved to shop! And shop she did when things got better. Stephen Berry says she had a decade to make up for! I would say that is a serious shopping spree.

I also found this pretty great map. It's only great because I did not even think of the expansion until I saw it and realized that the union and confederacy was much more than just the fist 13 colonies (sorry Dad - I'm just not a history buff!).

Anyways, I just keep trying to motivate myself to write this paper by thinking that when I am done with this class i am one step closer to getting into all my psychology courses. However, it also reminds me that I have a bazillion history classes left to take. I wish I could have the determination of Elle Woods in Legally Blonde.

I suppose I should be off to get this paper done! I also have to give a 3-5 minute presentation on the book, so index cards need to be done! But first I should finish my book...(whoops!)

No comments: